Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Snow School

I'm definately glad to be done with that. The first day was fine, we were constantly in motion, so we were pretty warm. Even my fingers would warm up as long as we were working. We had to set up a few different types of tent, build snow walls and trenches, and a quinzee, which is pretty much an igloo. I got to sleep in the quinzee, mostly because I spent a few hours digging the tunnel to get in. The tunnel has to go down so that it isn't a source of cold air and such. Our tunnel went about four feet into the snow. The hut itself would probably have supported 4 people, but we didn't fill it. In the end it's pretty much a beaver lodge made out of snow. A whole mess of people wanted to try sleeping in snow trenches, which sounds like a god awful bad idea to me. The second day was cold. We weren't always moving, and my gloves (all three pairs. . .) were pretty moist. We had to do an emergency crash simulation, which was silly, because it's hard to pretend that it's a snowstorm. Still it was worth a bit of a warm up. And we had to fake snowblindness, which meant putting white buckets on our heads and walking around. Some of it was fun, though. The snow is denser there than anywhere else on the planet. You can cut and quarry it with a saw as if it were stone. Today is packing and getting food for the trip. I have a feeling I'll be doing a fair bit of the cooking, but I'm pretty used to that (nudge). Anyways, time to get some crates packed. I'm going to try to throw a few pics up on flickr, but it's having issues loading. . .

5 comments:

Jon Warnock said...

Ok, pics are up.

Anonymous said...

Such an adventure so far! I love to read your new entrie!

Happy Halloween!

LY

Jacob said...

Well, I hope Meda appreciates your cooking like I do. I miss your cooking. My cooking isn't as good as yours. :p

mattw said...

Sounds exciting. Did you end up trying the snow trenches?

Jon Warnock said...

Yup. We all had to have a part in all of it. It is quite a bit of fun, but it would be even more fun if there was the option of going to the nice warm house whenever you felt like it. :P