Saturday, November 17, 2007

Feet on the Ground, Head in the Sky

Well, it's almost 1 in the morning, so it's bed time. I just got in from a nice hike. I decided to go to the top of a mountain, behind camp. I'll post some pictures tomorrow (although there are new ones today. I hope you're not all bored of them...). Anyways, it was just awesome. By the time I hit the top I could see all of Lake Fryxell and the ocean. If it hadn't been for a few clouds, I might have even seen McTown. Many of the rocks up there are wind sculpted (they never do get the face right), and quite pretty to look at. I think that this may be the highest I've ever climbed, or at least the greatest elevation change that didn't involve a vehicle. I was high enough that I could see over some of the mountain glaciers into the next valley south. I couldn't see the next valley north (as I had been hoping) due to some ice in the way.... I'll be there eventually anyways. Well, I'm beat and we work on Sundays. Later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Almost like Star Trek, going where probably no man has gone before, or at least damn few of them. How awesome that you can do/see these things you will remember for the rest of your life. Can't wait to see the pictures you haven't posted....guess we will have to have a Picture Party when you get back...better than they old-fashioned slide show Grandpa used to do.

As to your trials and tribulations with equipment failures, ice mishaps, etc - another day, another challenge, eh? These things only make you more resilient and resouceful....ever think about putting in a bid for a reality show like Survivor? Survivor Antarctica - bet you would end up as #1 hands down!

Pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving today for your sibs and your partner here. We will think about you especially today, and as always, pray for your safe return.

Love you so much,
Mom & Dad

mattw said...

Watch out for those unknown valleys, one of them could lead to the land of Narnia and then you'd probably be in a heap of trouble and satirs.