Saturday, November 24, 2007

Ventifact Garden

We finished another drill hole today, and got a third as close to done as we can until we have an available melter. I took a ride by myself to fill the Hotsy that we do have running, and the view was spectacular. All of the little ice peaks, like frozen waves, caught the golden sunlight in a million places. But here a thousand blue, and here a thousand red and every other color you could need pulled from light split by ice.

It was a pretty productive day, but as the day wore on, things fell apart. Our generator on the East Lobe is broken, as is our Hotsy, and now the Limno generator is down too. The ATV is allegedly having problems, but I am skeptical. So for every success, a setback. Still, work got done, and tomorrow will be the ablation stakes, which will be a nice trip around the East and West Lobes.

Deciding to retreat after dinner before something else broke, I headed up hill. The mountain behind Bonney camp is exposed bedrock at the top, and I wanted to have a look. It's also one of the better spots to find ventifacts around here. The things were quite massive, some rocks more than fifteen feet tall and five feet thick sitting in place all carved with holes and tunnels and spires and groves and pits. By the time i hit the top of the hill, I was actually getting frustrated that there were so many I wanted to look at. At this point I'm pretty ready for bed, so it's off to the tent again.

1 comment:

Jacob said...

I hope you took lots of pictures and plan on posting some of them soon. I'm getting pretty anxious to see all of this beauty that you keep describing.

I'm sorry to hear about all of the setbacks today. It's starting to seem like they're a normal part of being there. I hope things go better for you tomorrow. I love you.